Is Brother Printer not responding to Mac and Windows operating system? Resolve it quickly with these easy step to step guide.
Whenever we decide to get a printer for our workstation or even for domestic purpose. The first thing we look at is the cost of running the printer. That is where Brother Printers come in. Brother Printers gives you some of the best prints at a much lower cost. The printer itself comes at a much cheaper price than its closest competitors. This makes Brother Printers one of the most sort-after Printer brands in the US. Especially for office use or any other official purpose, Brother printer is the first choice.
Like many printer brands. Brother printers too, face some hiccups during its usage. There comes a time when even the best printer brands face a breakdown. Similarly, Brother Printers are no different. There will be a time when your printer will not respond, and your entire day’s work will come to a standstill.
This article is all about going around such problems. We have listed some of the quickest and the easiest fixes for your Brother Printer not responding issue. Both for Mac OS and Windows.
Before we move on to the troubleshooting, let us first look at some of the most common issues with your Brother Printer.
Basic Brother Printer Issues
Brother Printers like many other printers in the market, face problem from time to time. From the get-go, printers are very temperamental devices. Therefore it is very important to take care of your Brother Printers. Some of the problems associated with Brother printers are given below.
Paper jamming is one of the most common problems with any printer you could think of. It is something that happens from time to time and might be due to many reasons.
- Unclean papers and dirty internals are the primary cause for the paper to jam.
- Not inserting the right paper is one cause for the paper to jam.
- The Foreign object inside the printer is one cause.
Therefore it is very important for the user to keep the printer clean in order to keep it’s usage afloat.
Prints coming out faded is a major issue with some Brother Printer. This reduces the quality of the prints to a considerable amount. This happens mainly due to the cartridge not being installed properly. Another cause for faded prints is jamming of the ink inside the cartridge.
Make sure to install the cartridge properly and use a good quality cartridge to avoid this problem.
Print Coming Out Slow:
Don’t you just hate it when the print comes out really slow? You have no other option but to stand there and wait for an eternity to be complete. The printer slows down mainly because there is dust inside the printer. Therefore it is very important to keep the printer covered when not in use. Bad connectivity might also be the cause for the prints to come out slow.
Ghosting Effect On the Print:
When there is a faded secondary print below the main print, it is known as ghosting. It is not very common, but it ruins the print overall. It has happened to almost all of us, and it happens due to dirty drums. A damaged roller can also be the cause of ghosting in your prints. Make sure to service your printer from time to time.
Now that we know what could go wrong with your Brother printer. Let us take a look how to troubleshoot Brother printer problems in Mac O
Quick Fix for Brother Printer not Responding to Mac OS
Brother Printers are all about saving money in prints. Making it ideal for official purposes. Therefore to make sure that your works never stops. We have brought to you some of the easiest methods to solve any issue if your Brother Printer is not working on your Mac OS.
Set your Brother Printer as your default Printer
A problem can arise if the default printer is set wrong. Therefore it is very important to set the default printer right before doing anything. To set your Brother Printer to default, follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Apple Menu and then select system preference. Then click on Print & Fax, Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
- A pull-down menu will come up.
- From there select your Brother Printer as your default printer.
Delete all Print Queue
- Go to the Apple Menu and then select system preference.
- Click on Print & Fax, Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
- Select your printer. Then hit on Open Print Queue.
- Choose remaining Print Jobs. Then click on “x”
Check the Status of your Printer
- Select the Brother Printer icon. Then click on Open Print Queue
- A new tab will open showing you the status of your printer. Click on Resume or Resume Printer.
- Test print to check.
If your Mac is connected to the Brother Printer via USB cable. A message will show that says The Printer is not connected. Check the status of the USB cable.
See also: DNS Server not responding
Register the Brother Printer Icon
- Select your printer icon.
- Click on the (-) button to remove printer icon.
- Repete the process in reverse. Click on the (+) to add new printer icon.
note: If the printer icon does not show after adding. Then the printer is not recognized.
If the brother Printer is connected to the computer with a USB. Try disconnecting it and then reconnecting it. Restart your printer and check the status.
Check the Power Status and for Errors in your Brother Printer.
- Check the LCD display of your Brother Printer. If it is all black then the printer has no power or it is in sleep mode. Check if the power cables are connected to all the right ports.
- Check the LCD display of the printer for any Error messages. Such as Paper jam or empty cartridge.
Do a Complete Power Cycle
When you find your Brother Printer is not working on your Mac. One basic troubleshooting you can do is, to do a power cycle on your Brother Printer. A clean power cycle can clear up the remaining cache and make your printer work again. Just follow the steps below to do a clean power cycle.
- Make sure the printer is powered ON
- With the printer powered ON. Unplug the power inlet of your printer. Then unplug the power cable from the wall outlet.
- Unplug all USB cable.
- Wait for 5 minutes. Then repeat the entire process in reverse.
- Power ON your Brother Printer.
- Wait a few minutes.
- Test print to check.
Given above are some of the best-known methods to fix any and all problems related to Brother Printer not working in your Mac OS. Follow all the methods step by step to make sure that your Brother Printer stays in working condition as long as possible.
Troubleshoot for Brother Printer not Responding to Windows
Most of the offices in the US use Windows as their primary operating system. Printers being an important office hardware. Let us look at how to fix your Brother Printer if it is not responding to Windows.
1. Check for any connection issue
A weak connection between the [rinter and your computer might be the reason for your Brother Printer not responding. Before you do anything, first check if there is any connection problem. Follow the steps below.
- First, take out the USB cable from the printer’s end and then from the computer as well.
- Clean up the ports if there is any dust.
- Reconnect the cables from both ends. Make sure that you connect the cables to the right port, and not to the ethernet port or some other port.
- Turn ON the printer.
- Test print to check.
2. Check the Driver settings
When the driver setting is disturbed it causes the printer not to respond to the computer. To check on the driver setting just follow the steps given below.
- First, open the printer folder.
For Windows 7: Click on start then go to Devices and Printers
For Windows 8/10: Click on start. Then go to Control Panel. Click on Hardware and Sound then go to Device and Printers.
- Check if the brother printer is on the list or not. If not, then it is because the Driver is not installed properly.
- Set the Brother printer to default printer.
- Be sure to check if the status is not paused or offline.
Give a right click on Brother Printer. Then select See whats printing
Click on Printer. Then go to Pause Printing or Use Printer Offline. Uncheck it.
If the color of the pause printing or Use Printer Offline is grey. Then click on Open as Administrator. Type in a password then click yes.
- Then delete all print queue.
Right-click on your brother printer and select See What’s printing.
Then go to Printer>Cancel all Documents. Then click Yes.
- Be sure to choose the correct port.
Give a right click on the Printer icon then select Properties or Printer properties.
A new window will open. Click on Parts to choose the right port.
All the above steps will help you to fix your Driver settings. Which might solve your Brother printer not responding to your Windows computer.
3. Use Some Other Application to Verify
If you find some problem with the native application of Brother Printer. Try printing with some other printing application. If the new application works then there must be some problem with the Brother printer application. A corrupt file maybe.
4. Perform a Complete Restart of your Computer and the Brother Printer
This is perhaps one of the most used troubleshoot ever applied. Restarting the entire machine clears any leftover cache that might cause the problem. Therefore before doing anything, it is advised you restart your Brother Printer along with your computer.
After doing the restart, just wait for a while for the device to settle.
Test print to check if the printer is working or not.
5. Reinstall the Driver
It happens sometimes that the Brother Printer Driver is not installed properly. This causes problems with the printer and it does not respond to your command.
A simple uninstall and reinstall of the Driver can solve the most Brother Printer problem.
- Uninstall then delete the Brother Printer driver from your Windows system.
- Insert the CD that came with the printer to reinstall the driver.
After you are done. Try printings something to check if the printer is working or not.
6. Device Manager must Recognize the Brother Printer
If the device manager does not recognize your brother printer, then your printer will not respond to your Windows PC. It is very important that your device is recognized by the device manager for it to work at all. To check with your Device manager follow the steps below.
- First, go to control panel. Then click on Hardware and Sound. Then go to Device manager which is under Devices and printers.
- Click on View and then on Show Hidden Devices.
- Then click on the Triangle mark or the (+) right next to the printer.
- If your device is listed as Brother xxx or Brother xxx Driver then you know that your device is recognized.
A working printer ensures that your daily works stay on track. We know that value of your time. That is we understand when your printer breaks down on you, you lose valuable time.
All the above methods are given to help you troubleshoot any problem related to your Brother printer. So the next time your Brother printer does not respond on your Windows or Mac OS. you know what to do to resolve it