Before I start solving your CHKDSK not responding to Windows issues, let us first understand what CHKDSK actually is.
To put it as simply as possible CHKDSK is a tool used to check hard drive errors. You access this tool on your Windows PC via the command prompt.
At times when our hard drives come up with an error. You run the CHKDSK to resolve any of the issues. In most cases, the tool is able to fix the issue at hand.
This tool is able to scan your system of any hardware problems and resolve them effectively. Let us check out how to launch CHKDSK on your Windows PC.
If you are looking to launch CHKDSK on your PC. Follow the steps given below.
- The first thing you have to do is boot up your computer
- Select Start button, then click on Run
- A search box will come up. Type in “cmd” then press “Enter”
- The command page will open, then type in CHKDSK
- Now all you have to do is press “Enter”
That’s all you need to do if you want to launch CHKDSK tool on your Windows PC.
Now that we know how to launch CHKDSK on your PC. Let us now check out what all methods we should use when faced with CHKDSK not responding your issue.
CHKDSK Not Responding – Easy Fixes
Don’t you just hate it when CHKDSK tool just stops working for no reason at all? That too when you are in a middle of a repair. It happens to almost all of us.
CHKDSK just hangs at one particular percentage when it is in the process of scanning and repair. In those tense moments, it is hard to make out what to do.
If you are one of the many having problems with your CHKDSK not working, then you have come to the right place. I have brought to you some easy fixes for your CHKDSK not working issue.
Windows 10 has its fair share of this kind of issue. Therefore I have come up with some easy hacks to resolve your issue in no time at all. Given below are the fixes for your CHKDSK not working issue.
Correct CHKDSK Not Responding with a Substitute Application
If you find that your CHKDSK is not working on your Windows 10 PC. Don’t panic just yet, you can always try a substitute software instead. One such reliable substitute has to be “EaseUS Partition Master Free”. The download link is given below:
This software is one of the best you can get. It is capable of detecting and resolving any kind of internal or external hardware issues. And it comes for free, so do give this application a try. If you are already done downloading it. The steps given below should be able to help you.
- The first thing you have to do is to run this application. Then go to the hard drive, partition, or the external hard drive you want to fix and right click on it.
- A number of options will be given to you. Select the method you want to use to fix the error: “Check Partition Properties, Call Windows CHKDSK or Surface Test”. Then click on “OK”
- Once you are done selecting the method. The software will automatically scan for hard drive issues and fix them.
- Once the problem is resolved, click on “OK”
That’s it, no matter what hard drive issue you may be facing. “EaseUS Partition Master Free” will fix it instantly if you are having CHKDSK not working problem.
Use System Restore to Resolve CHKDSK not Responding Problem
If you are a Windows 10 user, and you are having a problem with your CHKDSK tool. You have the option to use System Restore to fix the problem. This method is also applicable for Windows 8 as well.
- Go to the “Control Panel” then click on “System and Security” then select “System”
- A new page will open. There click on “System Protection” then go to “System Restore”
- Go on and click on “Next” on the System Restore page then click on restore.
- A message box will pop up. Asking you to Confirm your restore point.
- Now all you have to do is click on Yes to start the System Restore process.
Reassign Registry Data to Resolve CHKDSK not Responding
- The very first thing that you need to do is press the Windows button + R to access Run Dialog
- Now type in “regedit.exe” and press “Enter”. This will take you to Registry Editor
- Now all you have to follow the pathway: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current ControlSet\Control\Session
- A new page will open. On the right-hand side click on BootExecute. Be sure to set the value data to “autocheck autochk*”
Turn Off Hybrid Boot Mode to Repair CHKDSK not Responding
If your Windows 10 computer has Hybrid Boot mode turned on. Then there is a good chance of having a problem with your CHKDSK tool. You can always try to turn off your Hybrid Boot mode to fix the issue. Follow the steps given below.
- The first thing you have to do is click on the start button and type in: “cmd” to launch command prompt
- Once the command prompt opens type in the following: “powercfg/h off” and hit Enter. That should turn off your Hybrid Boot mode on your Windows 10 PC.
- Once you are done, all you have to do is reboot your computer. That should apply the changes.
Resolve autochk.exe to Repair CHKDSK Not Working Issue
- On your Windows 10 PC open File Explorer, then select “This PC” to launch Windows.old folder: “C:\Windows.old”
- Now you have to locate the autochk.exe file and right-click on it. Now click on properties to change the ownership of your account
- Once you locate the autochk.exe file, copy it to “C:\Windows\System32”
- The last thing you need to do is reboot your computer to apply the changes.
Resolving CHKDSK not responding issue is not that of a big deal. If you know what to do then you would know that this problem can be solved in an instant.
If you are not so sure what to do in these type of situations. You always have the option to use some of the methods given above to fix CHKDSK not working problem. I have put forth some easy techniques to help you with your CHKDSK tool not responding.
If you happen to follow the steps carefully, say goodbye to your CHKDSK not responding problem. Now that we know what all methods we can use to resolve CHKDSK not working problem. Let us check out some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the same.
CHKDSK not Responding – FAQ
For most PC owners CHKDSK tool is not something they come across every day. It being one of the most important tools in your computer, people have certain questions. I have managed to pick out some of the most common and frequently asked questions regarding CHKDSK. Let us now check them out.
- How to launch CHKDSK tool on Windows 10?
Well, there is nothing to it. If you are looking to scan your hard drives on your Windows 10 PC. All you have to do is right-click on the drive you want to check and click on properties. Once you are done select tools tab located under Error Checking, and then hit the check button.
That’s all you need to do to launch the CHKDSK on your Windows 10. Once a problem is detected, you will be asked to repair the disc. Follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the problem.
- Why is the computer running CHKDSK during startup?
When and if your computer is running CHKDSK during startup. The probable reason might just be a corrupted hard drive. You can let the repair take place, or you can abort the fix just by clicking any key.
- How long does a CHKDSK repair take?
If you are looking to run CHKDSK on your computer. Then you would be happy to know that scanning process takes just minutes. If at all a problem comes up. The repair can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. So sit tight till the problem is completely resolved.
CHKDSK not Responding – EndNote
The CHKDSK tool is perhaps one of the most important tools in your Windows PC. Our hard drives are full of things that we are not even aware of.
A stacked up hard drive can cause the drive to malfunction and breakdown. Therefore it is important for tools such as CHKDSK to help you repair your broken down hard drive.
This article is all about that. It is all about what to do when and if the CHKDSK is not responding to your Windows 10 PC.
The next time you have a problem with your CHKDSK tool. You can refer to this article if you want a step by step guide on how to fix your CHKDSK not working issue.