Windows operating system is a box of errors and the Application Error 0xc0000142 is one of them. Most of the users encounter face this error while trying to open a newly downloaded Windows application. So, I came here to tell you the things you need to do to get rid of this issue quickly. But before that, let’s see why does this error occur.
Application Error 0xc0000142 in Your Windows PC
Since this an application based error, it appears most of the times when your program is malfunctioning or corrupted. However, you will never know which part of your PC is showing this error or which application is causing this error message. Even when your files get damaged while sharing or while you are scanning them with your antivirus, you can see this error message.
So, when you are encountering this error message, it can be because of the incompatibility of a recently downloaded software. So, let me open up a few possible reasons why this issue occurs.
- The software files are damaged or corrupted
- Your Windows registry is corrupted or virus infected
- Maybe the software you are using is not compatible with your operating system or one of the following-
- Your PC is infected by a malware attack
- You are using an outdated Windows operating system
So, if these are the reasons, let’s try out the possible solutions from the sections mentioned below.
You can also read: Windows Defender Error Code 0X800704EC
First Method-Application Error 0xc0000142 (Resolved)
It includes the uninstallation of Search Protect. This is security protection and to uninstall it, follow the steps below-
- Firstly, go to the Control panel of your computer then follow the below steps
- Click on the “Programs and Features” option
- And from the new window, uninstall the “SW Booster” software
- Now reboot your PC
This is just the first method for resolving the issue. Check out the other solutions methods from the below sections.
Second Method- Make Changes of LoadAppInit_dlls Files
These steps will guide you to change the value of LoadAppInit_dlls files.
- Firstly, open Windows Run and enter regedit in the typing panel
- Now the Windows Registry Editor window will appear
- Follow the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> Windows -> LoadAppInit_DLLs path
- Now you have to open LoadAppInit_DLLs
- Set the default value from 1 to 0
- Then click OK and confirm the value submission
- Exit the Editor now
Now restart your PC to make sure that the method worked. But if it does not work, then don’t worry, move on to the other solutions.
Third Method- Update Your Graphics Drivers
In many cases, I have seen the graphics drivers cause application errors simply because the driver is outdated. So, try to update your graphics driver and see if the issue is still occurring or not. And if this also does not work, please follow the next method.
The Last Method- Run the Program in Windows Compatible Mode
- Open the software as administrator
- Right-click on the software
- Then you have to open Properties
- Open the Compatibility tab and tap on the Run Compatibility Troubleshooter
- Then make sure to check the “Run the Program in compatibility for” option
- Next, you have to click on the apply button and close the window.
I hope these methods helped you in resolving the issue. But if you are still encountering the same problem, please drop us a comment below.