Say you are about to play your favorite video game on PC. But, no sooner have you turned on the PC to access the video game, that something terrible happens. This ‘something terrible’ is the Graphics Hardware Error.
The first symptom is that you cannot see the page of your game loading progress. What do you see instead?
This: Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics Hardware.
Yes, this error meant a lot of trouble. But, there is no need to panic as a lot of Windows user face the same problem. This article is all about solving this error at a rapid pace.
Want a Quick Way to Fix Graphics Hardware Error?
Graphics Hardware Error is a nightmare for the gamers like me. This error determines that you will not be able to access your graphics card again.
That is what it says. But, you can and you will fix the Graphics Hardware Error just like I did.
Here’s what you need to do.
See, there are two methods that will help fix the graphics hardware error. One is to update the driver and the other is to run the System File Checker.
Let us first talk about the easier of the two.
Use an updated version of your driver
The most common cause of the graphics hardware Error is due to the use of an outdated or poor version of graphics card driver.
So, you can easily solve this issue by updating your device driver.
You can update your driver either automatically or manually.
Automatic update is for the people who are less patient just like me. But, it’s true that the manual method is really time-consuming. Anyway, you can update the Graphics Card Driver automatically with the help of Driver Easy.
Here’s how you will the Driver Easy software
- Hit on Scan Now. This will let the PC detect all errors and problems with your driver including the display driver.
- If you choose to use the Free trial, then you will get the latest update of the device driver. For further updates, you have to click on Update one by one.
On the contrary, Pro version of Driver Easy will let you update all the drivers at once.
- Restart your PC.
- Now, after turning your PC check if the game works properly on your PC.
Click here to install Driver Easy.
What about the manual method?
You have to visit the official website of your display driver’s manufacturing company. There you will find the instructions for the latest version. So, you can download the latest version just by following the instructions.
Run DISM and System File Checker
This is the second method you can fix Graphics Hardware Error with. Updating device driver is the easiest method to fix the error. But, that is not the only solution.
Sometimes corrupted or damaged files can also cause the Graphics Hardware Error. As your second method, you can remove those files and let the Graphics card normally.
So, even if the first method does not work out, you can try the second method.
- Click on the Start menu on Windows. Type cmd in the search option.
- The command box dialog box will pop up. So, right click on that and choose Run.
- Choose yes.
- Now, write sfc/scannow and hit Enter. This lets the PC execute a thorough scanning process of the files. So, wait till the scanning is completed.
- This step is very important. Just type in these commands exactly as shown and hit Enter after each:
Finally, restart your PC after 10 minutes and ten stat playing your game. If he commands and the steps are followed with care, then there is less chance of this process not working out.
Make use of Device Manager
You can use this method if you have an Intel HD Graphics card.
Visit the official website of Intel and update the device driver from there. It is better to proceed with the updated version of the Graphics Card Driver.
You will get a set of zip files. So, use a decompression software to unzip all the files. Now, copy and paste the files into this location – <your system root drive>\Windows\Temp
- Hit the Start button and type devmgmt.msc. Now, run this command and open the Device Manager.
- Go to the Display Adapter.
- Look for your device driver. Right-click on it.
- Choose Update Driver Software from the drop-down menu.
- Now, choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software’.
- Choose the option that will let you select device drivers.
- After enabling that option hit on Next.
- In the next screen, you will find the option ‘Have disk’. Just click on that.
- Now, go to Browse option followed by the destination folder I have already mentioned. Now, find out your unzipped files.
- Visit Graphics subfolder and choose igdlh64.inf inside the main folder of unzipped files.
- Click Open.
- Finally, hit Yes and let the PC install the driver.
After the completion of this entire process, you can restart your PC and start playing your favorite video game. This time, the Graphics Hardware Error will not pop up anymore.
Use the System Restore Point
Did you create the System Restore Point a few days back? Then, you should enable it in order to fix the Graphics Hardware Error.
You can follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Click on Start option on Windows.
- Now, type Create a Restore Point in the search option.
- Choose System Protection on the new window.
- Now, select System Restore > Next
- Find the restore point that you created. Hit on Next.
Finally, click on Finish. Let your system restore. Now, all you have to do is restart the PC and play video games without any Graphics Hardware Error.
Of course, these solutions will help. But, when it comes to technology, we should consider a ‘what if’ situation.
What if none of the methods work somehow?
Chances are nearly 0 that such a situation will arise. But, if it does, then you can follow the alternate method mentioned below.
- Right-click on the Start button.
- Choose Device Manager.
- Locate your graphics driver.
- Select uninstall drivers.
- Hit OK.
- Let the entire process complete. Restart your PC.
- Again follow the same procedure to choose device manager.
- Select action > scan for hardware changes
- Let your system scan and install the missing driver again.
You can also go to the official website of your driver’s manufacturer to download the driver.
Increase the TDR Delay
I know most of you must be wondering what the TDR is. TDR is the Timeout Detection and Recovery time. Increasing the TDR implies increasing the GPU processing time.
It is a bit complicated. But, it isn’t impossible. Moreover, this method is your last straw to fix the graphics hardware error.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Press start and R at the same time.
- This will open the Run Dialog box to open.
- Type ‘regedit’ and hit Enter.
You will find the main page of registry editor now. Locate the following destination:
Tip: You will find it in the left panel of the registry editor.
- Now, make a registry DWORD as TdrDelay in the GraphicsDrivers.
- Click twice and modify the value data.
- Change the data to 8.
- Hit OK.
- Close all tabs and restart your PC.
This is quite a tough process. So, I have mentioned this at last.
These are the overall solutions to fix the Graphics Hardware Error. Unable to play games is hard especially when you have no idea what the problem is.
Read Also: iCare Data Recovery Tool, iTunes Error 56
What causes the Graphics Hardware Error?
First of all, check the version of your drivers. The error message: ‘application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware’ is quite common in Windows 10 and Mac as well. Most of the time, this problem arises when you use an old version of the device. So, always make sure that you have updated drivers.
You will find a lot of tools to update your device driver automatically. Driver Easy is one of the most reliable tools. Moreover, it has an easy user interface to make my task simpler. But, you can also opt for other tools on the Internet.
Another reason for Graphics Hardware Error is corrupted graphics driver. Now, what corrupts a device driver? Whenever you surf the Internet or download files from the Web, chances are that viruses will attack your system. So, what should you do?
Here comes the role of anti-virus software. You should download only the reliable and authentic software like Avast. The role of anti-virus is to detect any bug or malware on your system and terminate. This renders the safety of your files and graphics card.
The RAM of your system can also cause this issue. So, I would recommend all to get your RAM checked by an expert. Faulty RAM can block the functionality of Graphics Hardware.
As a matter of fact, this kind of situation is rare. But, I have found certain Windows 10 users facing this problem. Moreover, checking faulty RAM was a problem with Windows 7. Windows 10 is somewhat easier to deal with.
You should also clean the fan inside your laptop. It is just an additional tip for all. Overheating of the processor also reduces the performance of graphics hardware. Clean CPU fan not only prevents this error but also protects your system.
I hope these solutions help!