Are your Headphones not working on Windows 10 PC/smartphone? I know this is the most annoying Headphones Issue on Windows.
But, search no more for you have hit the right blog for optimized and 100% working solution steps.
I have come across instances where users have similar headphone issues after a Windows 10 update.
Why wait till a loud music plays in the library due to a headphone glitch? Know all the whats, whys and hows of Headphones Issue on Windows 10.
I have provided you 100% working solutions for Windows 10 and Windows 10 OS supported Nokia Lumia series.
What Causes Headphones Issue?
Headphones Issue on Windows 10 generally occurs due to software issues.
You have damaged the ear jack port of your device or have caused any physical malfunction to the device motherboard.
You cannot always blame your device. It is also possible that your headphones are faulty. Try plugging into a different device and you can check that out.
Volume and Sound enhancers cause this issue as well. Not if you download from Windows or Microsoft store.
I have seen mostly third-party developers offering such kind of software sound amplifiers. They interfere with your default settings and create a problem.
Now why Windows 10?
The new Windows 10 update introduced glamorous features and powerful ones as well, especially for Audio drivers.
Your old settings conflict with the new ones.
That is why, when you plug in your microphone, your Windows 10 software doesn’t read it.
I remember Microsoft accepting the fact that after a Windows 10 update, many users have sound issues. Driver incompatibility was thought to be one of the reasons as well.
And why just focus our symptoms on drivers? If you choose improper playback device, even then the error pops up.
In all, unless there is a hardware issue which you really need to check, there are some settings issues with driver and audio settings.
I suggest you check for hardware and faulty headphone issue before we proceed.
Sure it is software?
Here we go.
Let’s make Headphone as default device
When you plug in your headphones, you get no sound which is why you are here.
It can happen that your headphones are not set as default devices due to which it is not detectable.
You can do that with these steps.
- Windows Control Panel is the place you start with. Wither you can run the program by simultaneously pressing Windows+R
Search directly in Windows search.
- As Control Panel opens, you will see loads of categories providing you will settings for different aspects.
Since you are looking for headphones, find Hardware and Sounds. Tap to open it when you do.
- A further list will appear before you. Your problem is related to audio.
So, find Sounds.
- When you open Sounds, find Headphones in the category. Scroll Below.
Found an option that says Set Default? Click on it.
Wait! There is a little more you need to remember.
Headphones issue can happen that when you open Sounds, Headphones will not appear alone, rather it can appear as Speakers/Headphones.
You need to worry a bit. Set Default as I mentioned earlier.
- Had All done? Finish by tapping on OK button.
It is a very basic solution. Most of the times, it resolves the Headphones Issue (Headphones not working) on Windows 10 issue.
You have the next solutions in case it doesn’t work out.
You can Update Audio Drivers on Windows 10
Updating Audio Drivers is one of the best steps I recommend. All your drivers become compatible with Windows 10 version and work perfectly.
You have two ways to update. Let me tell you the first.
Update Manually from Sounds
- You have My Computer or My PC icon on the desktop, right? Right click on it and go to its properties.
- Clicking on Properties will open a new Window showing all your PC properties. On the left pane, you will see Device Manager.
- All your device peripherals are enlisted there. Find Sounds, Video and Game Controllers.
You now have to further expand the list. A new option will appear labeled High Definition Audio Device.
Open its Properties by right-clicking-
- Clicking on Properties will come up with a new window. Navigate to the Driver tab.
Saw Update Driver? Tap on it.
- When you click on Update Driver, you will a new dialog box before you with few more options.
One of them will ask- Browse my Computer for Driver Software
- Immediately a browse option will ask you-
Yes, you choose your driver from the list. I mentioned this is a manual installation.
Prior to that, you will download the related driver from any trusted third-party site. I recommend you Driver Easy which you can easily get from this link.
- Now, click on High Definition Audio Device and a Windows will show you a warning.
Don’t worry, just press Yes.
It only warns you against compatibility. Just be sure before you download that the audio driver is compatible with the Windows 10 version.
- To start the installation, tap Next and wait.
Once the update is finished, restart your PC and check whether your headphones are working right this time.
If not, there is always the next solution for you.
Update Driver Automatically
I understand many of my readers are little uncomfortable when it comes to manually updating your system.
That is why Driver Easy is my recommendation for you. It is a wonderful software that automatically detects which drivers in your PC are out of date and need updating.
Here, you are free from the risk of downloading third-party contents and going for the wrong driver.
Driver Easy can be easily downloaded from this given link.
It is easy to install, just like any other Windows application.
- Once Driver Easy is set up, tap on Scan Now.
It will automatically detect all driver or headphones issues on your PC and enlist them.
If there is an issue with your audio driver, it will reveal itself during the scan.
- When you will open the new driver, like the audio driver, it will have an Update button beside it.
As soon as you click it, the software will automatically download the driver and install it for you, only for FREE version surely.
But if you are using Pro version, one click on Update All will resolve all problems including Headphones not working on Windows 10.
Driver update mostly fixes all issues. If it doesn’t there is the next solution for you.
Read Also: Chrome Update Error, Skype Installation Error
Playing with Realtek HD Audio Manager Settings
I know you have tried changing Realtek Settings but perhaps, incorrectly.
Whenever audio driver malfunctions, its a natural response of any user to go for Realtek Settings.
But now, do it correctly to resolve the issue.
- Start with opening Realtek Audio Manager which comes with Realtek drivers.
- Do you see a small folder like icon in the upper right corner?
You need to click on it.
- A new window will open that will have an option to enable/disable Front Jack-Detection. You need to Disable it by checking the box.
- Done? Click on OK to Finish.
As soon you disable Front Jack-Detection, you will see your Windows have started detecting your Headphone.
Still not working? Try the next option out.
We can uninstall IDT Audio Device
Firstly, what is this?
IDT or Integrated Device Technology Inc. are programs that enable IDT HD Audio on your PC generally for notebooks.
I have observed that running IDT Audio Driver and Realtek parallel has created problems. One of them is “unable to detect headphone/microphone”
Yes! It is just like running two antiviruses simultaneously. So, it is not recommended.
Realtek is trusted since it’s updates are baked by Microsoft Community. Running IDT Audio produces sound driver to malfunction.
Now, you can uninstall it with the following steps-
- Start by clicking on System Properties which you can find by right-clicking on My PC icon.
- On the left-hand side panel, go to Device Manager option.
- Open it and you will find IDT Audio under Sounds, Videos and Game Controllers along with Realtek.
- Disable it.
Not finished yet.
- Open Control Panel and expand the category.
- Open Programs and Features.
- Find IDT Audio Driver from the list. Right-click and uninstall.
Whenever you uninstall, I suggest you restart your PC. That eliminates completely finishes the uninstallation process.
Hopefully, it will solve the headphones issue on Windows.
We cannot forget Windows Phone
When I talk about Headphone Issue on Windows 10, I mean both Windows 10 PC and smartphones.
It has come to my knowledge that certain Windows OS based phones, especially Nokia Lumia series users face this problem after updating their Windows from 8/8.1 to 10.
I personally checked for Nokia Lumia 730 series and guess what? I faced the glitch as well.
Lumia 730 is primarily Windows 8.1 platform based. Many users when updated to Windows 10, reported that their headphone was not detected by Windows system.
No, nothing wrong with the hardware, they all checked. Even I did!
I plugged in the device to my laptop and it worked just fine. The problem was with Windows Update, right?
I will tell you the steps I used to solve the issue with my Windows 10 phone. I hope you find it useful.
- Whenever you connect a headphone, a connection icon appears on your phone’s upper menu. Firstly check if it is showing.
If not, you have a hardware issue with your phone.
- If that is not the case, check the settings option from your phone and see if they all their fine.
- It should be easily detectable. Phone settings are comparatively easy. If everything is fine, you need to soft reset.
- I am specifically providing for Nokia Lumia users.
Simultaneously hold the Power button and the Volume down button, until your phone restarts.
- When it does, jack in the headphone again and see if that works. In most cases it does work.
If it does not work, you need to contact Microsoft Device Help or I suggest you visit the nearest Repair Centre.
There is no need to downgrade OS
Headphones not working on Windows 10 has become a very common issue now.
And not just with Windows 10, update, many users encountered this issue even with Windows 8/8.1 PC and phone and even Windows 7 PC.
The thing is you don’t need to downgrade your OS. Windows 10 is truly great!
The headphones issue may happen that due to few hardware or software issues, it may feel like downsizing.
But you need not take such drastic measure. I really hope my solutions will provide you appropriate guidance and fix your Headphones Issue (Headphones not working) on Windows 10 Pc and Smartphone.
Still, if you find any problem or have any further queries, let me hear your words in the comments.
We together can surely work things out.
Happy listening till next time!