Is HP printer not responding to Mac or Windows? Is HP printer not printing anything? The following easy steps will fix your issues with your HP Printer.
HP printers have been a leader in the printer market for quite some time now. HP is responsible for manufacturing printers of all kinds and budget. Their printers are of high quality and produce some of the best prints at an economical price. This makes them one of the most used printer brand in the whole world.
It is true that HP printer makes some of the best printers in the market. It is also true that they break down from time to time. We are all aware of what happens when a printer breaks down. The entire day’s work just comes to a halt.
To make sure that your HP printer stays in good shape as long as possible. We have brought to you some easy hacks to troubleshoot any problem if your HP printer is not working on your Mac or your Windows platform. Before we dig into the details of the troubleshooting. Let us look at what could go wrong with your HP printer in the first place.
Things that go Wrong with your HP Printer
Jamming of Paper:
Paper jamming is one of the most common problems in any printer you can think of. Also one of the most annoying one for that matter. Paper jamming can occur for many reasons. For instance, the wrong type of paper can cause the paper to jam in your printer. A dirty printer can also be the cause the paper to jam. Therefore it is very important to clean your printer from time to time.
Prints Coming out Faded:
At times you will see that the prints coming out are quite faded even if the cartridge is full. This might be due to the ink getting jammed into one particular area of the cartridge. Shacking the cartridge can easily solve this problem.
Also, check if the Economode is switched off or not.
Ghosting Effects on Prints:
Ghosting effect is something which can be described as an added watermark on a print. Similar to a light background image of the same print. This might be due to improper power inlet or the power cable not inserted properly. It can be also due to the ware and tear of the internal parts of the printer. Such as the drum or the imaging kit. In this case, you will be required to change the hardware of your Hp printer.
Operating System Not Responding to Printer:
It so happens once in a while, the operating system is not being able to recognize the printer. Causing your HP printer not to work. In this case, a new driver needs to be installed on the operating system to be able to recognize the printer.
It is important to remember that not all printers are compatible, and works on the specific operating system. Therefore it is important to consult with an expert before you make the purchase.
There are many problems that can creep up on your HP printer. The given above are some of the most common problems that user faces with their HP printer.
now let us move on to the troubleshooting of HP printers on Mac and Windows.
HP Printers – Easy Fixes for Mac OS
Mac OS is one of the most used operating systems in the world. Same goes for HP printers. They are considered to be one of the giants in the printing world. Most of the tie both of them work just fine. But there are times when HP printers breakdown on Mac. This article is all about that. Let us now look at some of the easy hacks to fix your HP printer if it is not working on your Mac OS.
1. Check the Connection for your Printer
One of the main reason for HP printers not working in Mac is due to connection issues. If you find your printer not responding, then the first thing you should do is check the connection of your printer.
To solve any connection issue with your printer follow the steps given below.
See this: Canon Printer Not Responding
- Turn off the printer and then wait for a few seconds.
- Take out or disconnect the USB cable from your HP printer.
- Turn ON the printer once again. If the printer starts to print, then wait for a few seconds for it stops.
- Reconnect the USB back to the printer with some pressure to secure it properly.
- Test print to be sure.
- The first thing you can do is restart your printer.
- If the problem is not fixed, then restart your router. Wait a few seconds and check again.
- Restart your computer and wait for a few seconds.
- Click on the Apple icon then go to system preference.
- Hit on Printers and Scanners, Print & Fax or in Print and scan to open the Printers list.
- On that list click on HP Printer then click on Open Print Queue.
If the list does not show you the device list. Then probably there is no network connection with your printer.
2. Complete Power Cycle of Printer
Often power cycle can be a quick fix if your HP printer t is not printing anything. To power-cycle, your printer follows the steps given below.
- First, make sure that the printer is sitting idle.
- While the printer is on. Take out the power cable from the printer. Then unplug from the main outlet.
- Repete the process in reverse.
- Press the power button on the printer. Turn it ON.
- Test print to check.
3. Remove Multiple Printers
Multiple printers connected to the printer can be the main cause of your HP printer not to work. Removing them can resolve your problem. Follow the steps given below.
- Search for print on your Mac. Then click on Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners
- Find the name of your printer and match it with the list of devices.
- If you notice multiple of printers under the name. Remove the extras one by one using the (-) button.
- Use the one remaining printer as your default printer.
- Test print to check.
4. Remove Current Print Queue
You can try to remove the current queue and add it again to fix your printer.
- First, be sure that your Mac has a good internet connection.
- Open the printer list. Then click on HP printer. Remove it by clicking on the (-) button.
- Click on (+) button to open the Printer list.
- Select your HP printer. Then click Add
- Click on Print Using or Use.
- Select your printer.
- The new queue will be displayed on the Printer list.
- Test print to check.
5. Complete Reset of Printer
If none of the above steps solve the issue of your HP printer not working on your Mac. Then resetting the printer system is the only option you are left with.
Be Warned, Resetting the printer will end up removing all of your previous settings and queues. To reset your printer follow the steps below.
- Click on Apple Menu. Then on System Preference.
- Hit on Printers and Scanners. Then click on Print and Scan or Print and Fax.
- Right-click on the printer window. Then click on Reset Printing System. Click OK or Reset.
- If a message prompt comes up, then type in your username and password.
- Turn OFF the printer. Wait for a while then turn it back ON.
- Go to the printer window and click on the (+) button.
- Select your printer from the list.
- Test print to check.
HP Printers – Easy Fixes for Windows
One of the most used printers in the world belongs to HP. Over the years HP has made some of the best printers in the market. The specialty of HP printers is that they much more affordable than the other brands. Also produce some of the best prints as well.
There are times when we face a breakdown with our HP printers. When such things happen, it dents our day’s work. In this article, we will talk about how to troubleshoot your HP printers when and if it stops working on your Windows operating system.
How to Repair your HP Printer on Windows
1. Use Scan Doctor to Fix your HP Printer
Currently, if you are using Windows 8 or 10. Use HP printer and Scan Doctor to scan your system. After scanning it can also fix whatever problem you are facing with your printer.
Note: It is only available for Windows 8 and Windows 10.
2. Set your Printer by Default and Unpause Printing.
If your HP printer is not responding to your Windows platform. Then it is probably due to a change in the default printer setting. Try changing the default printer to fix your problem. Follow the steps below.
- First turn the printer OFF then turn it back on.
- Search your system for devices. Then click on Devices and Printers.
- Look for the printer icon.
If you see a grey icon with a green checkmark. move on to the next step.
If you see a colored icon without the green checkmark. Right-click on it, and select Set as Default Printer.
- Now right click on the default printer. Then select See What’s Printing. It will show you the print queue.
- Click on Printer. If you see a check next to Pause Printing and Use Printer Offline. Click once on them to uncheck them.
- Test print to check.
3. Do a Power cycle and Check Connections
By doing a complete power cycle, caches are removed. Therefore fixing your printer problem. Follow it step by step to do a complete power cycle.
- Turn your printer OFF then turn it back ON. Check the status of your printer.
- If the printer starts printing queued prints. Let it finish and leave it for a few minutes.
- While the printer is ON. Take out the power cord from the rear.
- Unplug the printer from the main outlet.
- Leave the printer like that for some time. Then do the entire process in reverse. Then turn ON the printer. Make sure that the computer is connected to the printer.
- Test print to check.
4. Select the Correct Port
Sometimes it so happens that a wrong port is selected. Thus your printer becomes offline. To make sure that you have selected the correct port, follow the steps below.
- Search the windows for devices. A list will come up. Select Devices and printers.
- A new window will open. Right click on your printer. Then select Printer properties. To open the Properties Windows.
- Click on ports. Then find your printer.
If it is USB connection then be sure that the name includes USB or DOT4
If it uses a network connection be sure that the name includes WSD, network, Standard TCP/IP Port, or HP Standard TCP/IP Port.
- Then select the right port type if it does not match with the currently used connection of the printer.
5. Update the Software
HP is known to give out software updates for their printers. An outdated Driver might cause the printer not to work.
Make sure you update the firmware regularly so that your printer works just fine.
6. Compatible Printer Driver
For all those using Windows 10. If you find that your hp printer is not responding after the latest windows update. Make sure that the printer Driver is installed in compatibility mode.
For this, you are going to need a Windows 10 matched printer Driver. If you happen to have one. Do not run it yet, just save it on your desktop or in your download folder. Now follow the steps given below.
- Right-click on the Driver file. Then select properties.
- Checkmark the box that says Run this program in compatibility mode for. Now under that select Windows 8/8.1
- Checkmark the box Run this program as an administrator.
- Click on Apply, then on OK to save changes.
7. Restore the Printer
If it happens that all the above methods fail to fix your printer. The one this left to do is to restore your printer back to the previous settings. Just follow these easy steps below.
- To open settings. Click Win+i
- Then follow the pathway: Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced startup > Restart now > Troubleshoot.
- Select Go back to the previous build.
This will allow you to go back to whichever version you choose from the list. Now all you have to is follow the instructions step by step to resolve the issue.
You may like this: Brother Printer not responding
Printer problems can turn out to be quite a handful. Today printers are used in almost every sector of business as well as for domestic use. We need our printers in working condition at all times. Therefore to make sure that your HP printer is working just fine on your Windows and Mac PCs. Given above are some of the solutions so that your daily work continues.