Micro SD card not recognized – this s a common issue that many of us have faced. In fact, I had an 8 GB micro SD card that I have been using on my phone for a lot of years. But, a few days back, my phone suddenly went off and when I turned it on again, it could not detect my micro SD card.
The micro SD was my little treasure in disguise and when I could not use it, I did not know what to do. It has all my music, images and videos. You know, things that give me bliss.
Ways to fix Micro SD card not recognized glitch
Update the driver you use for Micro SD card
- Click twice on Computer.
- Select the option System properties.
- Choose device manager on the left-hand side taskbar.
- You will also find a ‘+’ sign beside USB Controller. Click on that sign.
- Now, you will get a yellow exclamation mark.
- Right-click on that. Select Update software manager > Automatically search for Driver software
- Now, just give your PC some time to update the latest version of your driver. After it’s done, you connect the Sd card again to your computer.
If the Micro SD card not recognized error is displayed due to the old version of your device driver, then these steps will do the work and you can use SD card again.
There will always be a But.
What if you already use an updated version of the device driver?
So, in that case, you need to format your SD card
This one is the least favorite method of mine. It is because this method leads to the loss of all data from your device. Who would want that?
But, you can format your microSD card without the loss of any data. Yes, that is also possible. I will come to that later on.
Let’s format your SD card
- Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management
- Now, hit the option of Disk Management in the new window that opens up.
- Search your device in the viewer. Right click on that and choose Format.
- This will directly format your SD card.
Now, try inserting the SD card again to see if the Micro SD card not recognized error is fixed.
Make use of CMD
- Hold Start + X key. This will bring up the menu of power users.
- Look for the option of Command Prompt in the power users menu. Choose that option.
- You will get to see a UAC window that will ask for permission to get the Command prompt as the Admin. So, hit on Yes.
- Type the following in the new command prompt window: chkdsk E: /f/r/x
- The letter ‘E’ is the letter of your Micro SD letter. So, you can replace this alphabet too.
I mentioned this method last as not many people are keen on user commands. Probably it is because the command s don’t always work. It depends on the version of your OS. Moreover, you need to type the commands correctly. One wrong and it won’t just work.
Now, there are a lot of software and tools that will help you to format your SD card without losing any data.
Read Also: Chrome Errors, Skype Errors
In my case, I used the EaseUS Free Data recovery tool. It has a simple user interface and even the tech retards like me can use it without anybody’s help. So, yes, this one tops my list, definitely.
Okay, so let’s get you through the EaseUS Recovery Software.
This is how I used EaseUS Recovery Software
- Launch and install the software first. Click here to install the software.
- Now, connect your MicroSD to the PC. Make the connection with a USB cable or a card reader. I used a card reader.
- Now, open the main interface of this software.
- You will find your card there. So, just click on that.
- Now hit the scan button.
- Let the software scan your micro SD card.
- When the scanning completes, choose the files and data you want to keep from that card.
- Move them to another folder on your PC.
- When I was done wracking my brains to find out the solution to Micro SD not recognized, this tool was the savior.
I collected all my files from the SD card and stored them on my computer. So, no files lost and no time wasted.
Old versions of the micro SD card an cause the Micro SD card not recognized – error. So, make sure that you always use the updated version of device driver and OS.
Even if you delete the partitions on your SD card, may be due to lack of storage space or some other reasons, it causes this error.
Formatting is the last option you should try. But, make sure that you have a backup of all your data.