Trying to recover unsaved data from MS Word? Or are you looking for easy troubleshooting to get your MS Word back to work? Read the tried and tested solutions that can fix the MS Word Not Responding Error in your Windows 10 or Mac.
You may think that at times when MS Word shows common error “Microsoft Word Not Responding” on your computer, it is happening due to you an internal glitch in the Microsoft Program. But usually, it is found that the reasons are often, otherwise. Many times MS word shows the Not Responding bug due to a third party application.
Why is MS Word Showing Not Responding Popup?
There are three usual reasons when MS Word shows Not responding Error.
- The most common reason why the MS word shows Not Responding is due to Third Party Plug-ins.
- Virus and Malware in the system.
- You may be using the MS Word program on a mapped network drive that is at the time of use, offline. Whenever the mapped drive is connected to a low resource and is running a low-level computer than it has always shown some errors in the MS word
Whenever Word freezes and starts showing the ‘Not Responding’ error, there are a number of ways that we can get back the data that was not saved. At some occasions, it is possible to recover the full data but it is not always possible to recover the unsaved data.
We have tried and tested some of the easiest troubleshoots and found them helpful for resolving the MS Word Not Responding error in Windows 10 and mac.
Hacks to Microsoft Word Not Responding
Tweak 1- Disable the Add-ons by using Word Safe Mode to fix No Response Error-
We have found that with third party Addons, MS Word faces certain glitches. The most common Add-ins that we know of that cause the “Microsoft Word Not Responding” error is- Acrobat PDFMaker, Fun Tools, ABBYY FineReader, and Toshiba Book Reader.
If you have become ensured that the Add-ins are causing the Word to Not Respond then try to disable the Add-ins in Safe Mode. To use MS Office in Safe Mode, you can use any one of the following two ways.
- Go to Start then select All Programs. Select MS Office.
- Hold the Ctrl Key along with clicking on MS Word. MS Word will start in Safe Mode.
- Hold R + Win Key.
- The Run comment box will open.
- Type- WinWord /safe. Not the space between the ‘WinWord’ and the‘/’.
- You may be asked if you want to open Word IN safe Mode.
- Click on ‘Yes’ in the confirmation box. Now Word will open in Safe Mode.
6.Click on ‘File’ and select ‘Options’.
7. In the ‘Word Options’ box, select the ‘Add-in’.
8. Below the box, you will see the label Manage’ that has a drop down. You can see the ‘.com Add-ins’. Click on ‘Go’. All the Add-ins will be listed. Disable them by unchecking in all the checkboxes.
9. Click on ‘OK’. And close the Word document.
Restart Word and it will work.
Tweak 2- Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration to fix No Response Bug
If the above tweak did not help you now you should check if the MS Word crashes or doesn’t respond quite often or is it just that it operates smoothly only in the Safe Mode. If the case is the latter one, then you can disable the Hardware Graphics Acceleration and see if MS Word Not Responding error is resolved.
Disabling the hardware acceleration of graphics can be done by using UI or registry editor.
First Method- Disable Hardware Graphics Acceleration by Using UI
- Open a New Blank Word Document.
- Click on File then select ‘Options’.
- From the ‘Word options’ box, select the ‘Advanced’ menu that is in the left pane.
- Scroll to the bottom of the window and under the label named ‘Display’, enable the ‘disable hardware graphics acceleration’ from the checkbox.
- Click on ‘Ok’.
Second Method- Using Registry Editor
- Press the keys- windows key + R together and the ‘Run’ dialogue box will open up.
- Type ‘Reddit’ and click on ‘Ok’. The Registry Editor will open.
- Expand the left pane in the box that appears of the Registry Editor and navigate to this path-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\15.0\COMMON
- On the ‘Common’, right click. Create the ‘Graphics’ subkey by selecting ‘New’ and then ‘Key’.
- Select the subkey. On the right pane, you have to click on the blank space.
- Select ‘New’ and then ‘Dword Value’.
- Fill the new name for the DWORD to“DisableHardwareAccelaration” as is shown in the image.
- Double click on the key and put the value as ‘1’.
- Click on ‘Ok’
Now you can start the system again and the changes will be rolled in by the Word. However, if MS Word still shows No Response Error, then try to repair the MS Word Application.
Tweak 3- Repair Office Program to Remove the No Response Error
Many times, MS Word dhows not responding in Mac or your Windows 10 because it needs a repair. You can try many ways to repair MS Word and resolve the error.
Restart the MS Word program and if it doesn’t work, try to restart the computer. While restarting, the device resets all the registry changes that are made by Add-ins.
- Firstly, launch the Control Panel.
- Select ‘Programs and Features’ option.
- Click on the Microsoft office program or application that needs to be repaired.
- Finish the Reparation process.
- If the Word is still not responding then try to completely uninstall and reinstall the MS Office Package.
Tweak 4- Fixing the ‘Word Not Responding’ By Disconnecting The Offline Network Drive
Using MS Office in a Mapped Network is another common reason why the MS Word shows the Not Responding glitch. So if you are wondering “Why is my Word Not Responding yet?” then-
- Right-click on ‘My Computer’ and then click on ‘Disconnect Network Drive’.
- You have to select the drive that you want to disconnect in the dialogue box.
- Click on ‘Ok’.
- Keep doing this until all the offline drives are disconnected from the system.Launch the MS Word again and most probably the Not Responding Error will be resolved from your Windows or Mac.
Bonus Tweak – Resolving ‘Not Responding’ Bug with Microsoft Office Application Recovery
At times when MS Word shows No Response error then you can use the Application Recovery Tool as it provides a quick solution. Using this tool is a quick hack when MS word freezes.
- Go to Start and click on Programs. Select the MS Office Tools.
- Open the MS Office Application Recovery
Here you get to see all the MS Office programs in a listed way. You can also see the state of their performance i.e. if they are Responding or Not Responding. Though the same program may be running in many places, you will be shown only one instance of the program in the dialog box.
Select the application that you want to recover and click on ‘Recover Application’. It closes the application and will recover the unsaved data and restart the application.
What Else? – Update Graphics Card for the Updated Version
If your graphics card in the system is backdated then it could be one of the reasons why the MS Word is showing the Not Responding Error.
Check if the graphics card that runs on your computer is an older version or not. An outdated version of Graphics cards in your computer or Mac could be a reason why the MS Word has been showing the No Response bug.
So folks! These hacks are tried by our team and I hope these will better your Microfost Word experiences with minimum glitches.