What if you want to open a file and the search option suddenly stops working. What if your work gets stuck in between because the search bar does not respond? Relax, no need to panic because this is just a situation. In case, you are getting an error while trying to use the search function then read this post till the end to fix the problem ‘QuickBooks search not working. We have discussed the root causes of this error so that in future you will not face QuickBooks search not working error in future.
Quickbooks is listed as one of the best software to manage bookkeeping and accounting tasks smoothly reducing human efforts. Having multiple advanced features in the App & desktop version, users can make transactions, client, company files, calculate salaries and do thousands of work without major trouble. This software is famous for being super user friendly and simply customized.
There is a feature called “QuickBooks Search Feature” through which a user can go to the desired field. The search must work because there are many files that are old and you can’t go there manually, so you have to type the name of the file or transactions in order to open files. It saves you time because you can open old new files by typing related keywords.
When does Quickbooks Search not Working Happen?
- When a user is trying to index.
- After a user restarts QuickBooks.
- At the time of QuickBooks reinstallation, this error can happen.
- During the checking or changing of Firewall settings.
What are the Factors for QuickBooks Search Not Working?
- There could be a registry error in Windows OS.
- Third-party QuickBooks.
- Firewall is obstructing QuickBooks due to security and privacy concerns.
- Outdated QuickBooksversions.
- Corrupt or damaged QuickBooks Search Index file.
In the next part, we will be discussing solutions to fix this error, but before that users are required to update the QuickBooks Desktop. Check the computer’s date and time while installing.
Solutions to Follow when Search in Quickbooks Not Working
There are many solutions to fix this problem. All you have to do is read the post till the end. By the end, you will be able to resolve the error on your own.
Solution 1: Make your QuickBooks Desktop Compatible with the Latest Version
- This is the first solution through which you can get relief from this error.
- Go to the start option and type update option in the search bar. You will see the updater option, select that. After clicking on check for updates, the windows server takes some minutes to see the availability of windows updates.
- If there is an update, click on the download option and restart your PC after the process is completed.
Solution 2: Uninstall and Install QuickBooks
- Go to the start button to select the control panel.
- Press Uninstall after selecting the QB program of your choice.
- It is a little time-consuming so have the patience for a few seconds.
- After uninstalling, Restart the PC and Reinstall the software.
Solution 3: Clean up your History/Browser (Cache)
Solution third is very simple, all you have to do is clear your old history.
- Go on Customize and control the icon and then choose the setting option.
- At the bottom you will see an Advanced icon, there check for the privacy option.
- Beneath that option press on clear browsing data then click on Advanced Tab.
- Clear the cookies, files, data attentively. Clearing cache can help a user to fix the issue of Quickbooks Search Not Working Error
Solution 4: Disable Firewall Protection
There is a possible reason that the settings of Firewall in your system is obstructing QuickBooks. In that case, it is considered best to disable Firewall protection.
- Click on the start button. Go to the Control panel option.
- Look for a firewall option and turn it off.
- After disabling the firewall, open QuickBooks again and check if the search bar is working or not.
If the problem persists, then don’t worry we have more solutions to fix the error. Just move on to the next solution below.
Solution 5: Fixing Damaged Files of Windows Registry
In order to repair the window damaged registry file a user has to have good knowledge about the window operating system as well as working on the windows registry file system. If you have less knowledge about the registry file then we would suggest you to get in touch with an expert to fix this error.
Solution 6: Use Incognito Window in Chrome Browser
If you are facing a login error then try to log into the software in private mode. By this, your internet will not be able to record your history and your history won’t show any activity. Plus, you have to put in no extra effort while using it. Just open incognito mode by pressing Ctrl+shift+N. or go to three vertical dots that are on the right top corner. Choose the Incognito window.
We have given some short cuts for different browsers below:
Browser Name Keyboard Shortcuts
- Google Chrome = Ctrl+Shift+N
- Mozilla Firefox = Ctrl+Shift+P
- Internet Explorer = Ctrl+Shift+P
- Safari = Command+ Shift+N
Solution 7: Change the Name of QuickBooks Search Index File
- Open QuickBooks and close the company file.
- Click on the Start button and type search for file .search index in the search box of Search programs and Files.
- Hit Enter and you will be directed to C:\ Users\ UserName\Public \Documents\Intuit\ QuickBooks\Company File\ Companyfilename.QBW folder. Your file will be found.
- Search qbw.SearchIndex Folder and change the name to .OLD.
- Again open the QuickBooks Company File.
- Click on Search/Magnifying Glass and then click on the Update Search Information option.
- The information will start updating. Wait until the process gets finished.
- Now, use the search feature and see if the error has been fixed or not.
After following these steps your error should have been resolved. After reading this post, you will easily fix this error on your own. Share this article with your known people so that they could also avoid this error while working. Visit our websites to read more informative articles.