There can be numerous reasons because of which a particular website may not respond to your web browser. Some common issues associated with the ‘website not responding’ error message you are getting are enlisted below. Later, we have come up with some tried hacks. Follow the steps we have given to resolve all the issues you are facing currently with your Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or any other web browser.
Common Reasons for Website not Responding
1. Many background process running at the same time
You may get the error message ‘website not responding’ when many background process such as other websites or large programmes, games are running on your system.
2. The website has problems
There may be some problems with the website you want to access. Sometimes websites get corrupted or it can have bugs too. Even the conflict between the web browser you are using and the particular website you want to access could be the reason you are getting ‘website not responding’ error message.
3. Your internet connection is not smooth as you expect
Speed throttling by the ISPs(Internet Service Provider) can cause you certain websites not responding. Your WiFi router or the modem you are using can also have issues. You can reconnect the internet or restart your system to get away with the problem.
4. Computer could be affected by spyware or malware
Hidden malware or virus programme can corrupt your internet protocol. In some cases, those files occupy the resources of your computer arises ‘website not responding’ issues.
After successfully troubleshooting the problem regarding your website not responding. Try a few things we have mentioned below. These are all easy and tried solutions we are giving you.
Perform a cleaning of your DNS cache. This can really help you to cope with the website not responding issue.
Follow the Steps below:
- Open the search menu from your Windows computer
- Type ‘cmd’ and this will open the Command Prompt for you
- Now type the command as we given ipconfig/flushdns
Note: Don’t put any unnecessary space
- Hit the Enter and you will need to type another command
- Type the command: netsh winsock reset
You can flush your DNS Cache when you follow the above steps. Before proceeding the above steps remember to log in as an administrator.
Clear your browser Cache and Cookies. We have given the steps for you to Clear Cache, Browsing History and Cookies on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.
For Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome from your PC and go to More Tools
- Now Select Clear Browsing Data
- Check Password and Content License from the new window that pops up.
- Then Click on Clear Browsing Data
- Then Open the browsing menu once again. Go to Settings. Click on Show Advanced Settings
- Expand the Privacy section
- Click on the Content Settings
- Now you need to change Settings according to your preference
- Select All Cookies and Site Data
- Now, Remove them all
For Mozilla Firefox
- Go to ‘Menu’ from the browser
- Select History and Click on Clear History
- From the ‘Time range to clear’ drop-down menu select the option ‘Everything’
- List the items which can be cleared by selecting the arrow which is near the ‘Details’
- Now Select ‘Cookies’ and ‘Cache’
- Now hit the ‘Clear Now’ Button
For Internet Explorer
- First Select Tools and then Click on the Safety button and then Delete Browsing History
- Uncheck the ‘Preserve Favorite Website Data’ section and Check Temporary Internet Files and Cookies then Click Delete
- After successfully clearing the cache and cookies you will get a confirmation
Try with the IP address. The browser and the website may have some issues because of which the particular website is not responding. Found the IP address of the particular website and use it in spite of using the domain name. That could make your task easy and you might get away with the website not responding error.
There are several websites available on the internet to find your IP address. Use the proper website and put the domain name there. You may have to re-captcha a code to prove yourself human.
There might be some issue with your hosts’ file. Try to alter your hosts’ file to get the solution. If you failed to access the website by its domain name and it can be reached by the IP address. Then for sure, you need to change the hosts’ file.
Try the steps below
- Open Windows Search and find Notepad
- Now type the following %windir%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
- Search for the site name, after finding it put a hashtag(#)
- Save and Close the file
Make sure you don’t have blocked that particular site from your web browser. Follow the steps we have given
- Search for Internet Options
- Open the Control Panel Tool
- Select the Security Tab
- Click on Restricted Sites icon
- Select the Sites button
- If the particular site you want to access is on the list, just remove it
Check whether you are running your PC with a decent internet connection. An unstable internet connection can be the reason for a certain website not responding. Try to power cycle your system and your router or modem.
To get the solution you may try to restart your system along with the WiFi router or modem you are using. Unplug them and keep them aside for some minutes and restart it.
Sometimes the antivirus you are using can block access to the particular site you want to reach. You can always try to reconfigure your Anti-malware software to get away with the website not responding issues.
- You can check if disabling the antivirus and firewall give the solution or not
- If you don’t get the solution try configuring the antivirus into its default mode
Perform a full virus scanning of your system with the anti-malware software you are using on your PC. And follow the instructions your antivirus software providing you. You may get the solution of the windows not responding issue if any corrupted files or virus programmes are causing the problem.
You can try to remove unnecessary add-ons or extensions installed on your web browser. We have given the steps you need follow to disable add-ons and extensions on your Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.
- Select browsing menu on the top right corner of the screen
- Click on extensions and then open Options Tab
- Uncheck enable which will disable certain extensions, Click Delete for other add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click on the Tools button and Select Manage Add-ons part
- Choose the add-ons you don’t want have
- Click Disable
Change your DNS address to a global one. It really can help you. Follow the simple and easy steps we have given.
- Enter the Taskbar and Select the Network
- Open Network and Sharing Center
- Select ‘Local Area Connection’ which will enable a new window for you.
- Click on properties
- Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 and Go to the Properties
- Click on ‘Use the Following DNS Server Address’ pop up.
- Now Select 22.214.171.124 for ‘Preferred DNS Server’ and 126.96.36.199 for ‘Alternate DNS Server’
- Check ‘Validate Settings Upon Exit’
- Then Click OK
- Now exit
- Restart your computer and the changes will be made
Resting your IP address can give you the solution to your Website not responding problem. Perform the steps we have mentioned below
- Open the command prompt Go to Start> Type in “cmd” in search box
- Type the commands in the same order
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh Winsock reset
- Now Restart your computer to make the changes
If any of the above solutions didn’t work, Try this one, you can surely get away with your website not responding issue. Uninstall the web browser and reinstall it. Follow the steps
- Press the Windows Start button
- Search Control Panel and then Go to Control Panel
- Click on Uninstall a program button
- In the new window select the software program you want to uninstall
- Right Click and Choose Uninstall
After successful completion of the uninstallation process Restart your PC and reinstall the browser. And try to access the website you were looking for.
Now we are at the end of knowing the process of what to do when you get ‘website not responding’ error message. We are pretty sure of the fact that now you are able enough to sort out the problems on your own after reading this article.
These are all easy and trusted hacks since our team has done the appropriate research to give you the best solution. Now, you can surf without any hassle so, no need to waste your time by going to an expert every time with these kinds of simple problem. Visit our website and make your computer your ultimate friend. Enjoy browsing with your favorite browser.