Sometimes your Windows Defender gets unresponsive or shows you some annoying error message. When the Windows Defender Error Code 0X800704EC comes up, you will face the “This program is blocked by group policy. For more information contact your system administrator. (Error Code: 0x800704ec)” error message.
What is Windows Defender Error Code 0X800704EC Issue?
This error is not any software or hardware related glitch. It simply occurs due to corrupt or damaged Windows registry files. Windows defender is the ultimate security protection for your PC and for anything you cannot compromise on that. Since it is a registry related problem, it can slow down your PC, can shut it down unexpectedly, or can also cause it to crash.
Reasons Why Windows Defender Error Code 0X800704EC Appears
One of the most common reasons I have learned, this error comes up when you run two antivirus programs at the same time. For example, if you try to run Avast and Windows Defender together, the error code 0X800704EC appears. But this error can also appear when you are trying to install the latest Windows Defender update.
Here are the possible reasons why this error appears-
- Improper sync between your Windows defender and Windows setup
- Due to virus attack, this error can appear
- Broken Windows registry
- Improper configuration of Windows system files
- Hard disk does not have enough space to run Defender
- You are using infectious apps or software
So, if these are the case, then let’s move on to the solution process. Check out the below-mentioned procedures to resolve the error code in a jiffy.
You can also read: Application Error 0xc0000142
How to Resolve Windows Defender Error Code 0X800704EC
First, try to uninstall another antivirus from your PC; follow up the steps below-
- Open Control panel from the start button
- Then visit Programs and features
- Find the program mentioned as Antivirus
- Press the uninstall button of that program
If you are unable to uninstall it from the control panel, here is an alternative method-
- Open the Windows Run box (Windows key+R) then type “appwiz.cpl” and hit Enter
- Search for antivirus running on your computer other than Windows Defender
- When you see the uninstall button, just click on it
- If you come across any dialogue box, just agree to all those and uninstall the program from your PC completely
- Now you have to restart your system manually
This method should remove all the antiviruses from your computer. After this process is completed, follow the following steps-
- Visit your PC’s control panel once more
- Find the Windows Defender from the control panel
- Check if the program is enabled and ON. If it is not, then you have to do it manually.
Hope You Are Able to Resolve the Issue
I hope my suggestions helped you to get rid of the Windows Defender issue you were facing. In case you have other easy solution methods, please tell us in the comment box below.