Sometimes when the WMI Provider Host uses 100% of your disk storage, it slows down your PC. In this case, you can easily perform some simple troubleshooting guides. The provider host is a critical system process that runs in your desktop background. It allows the apps on your computer to request and fetch information about other applications.
You need this process to get the best of your operating system. But sometimes when the service uses a lot of resources, it can cause your PC to heat up. Follow these simple steps to resolve the issue.
What is WMI Provider Host and How Does It Work?
Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is a Windows system process that allows different programs to communicate with the system. The service only provides information to a program when it asks for. Sometimes the WMI can slow down your PC due to high CPU usage. If this is your problem, scroll down to the section below.
Why Does WMI Provider Host Cost So Much CPU Usage?
During normal operation, the service host does not consume too many resources. It only uses 1%-2% of your disk space while communicating with another program. When it uses high disk storage, you can assume there is something wrong or unusual has taken place. Below are the possible symptoms you may experience while the WMI Provider Host high disk usage problem appears.
Restart Your Computer- WMI Provider Host Resolve
Restarting your computer can help you get rid of the WMI Provider Host high disk usage problem. This is a simple resolution process and hardly takes a few minutes. When you restart your computer, Windows also starts all over again. If there is something causing the problem, it will eventually be solved. If this does not help you can follow the next steps which may work.
RESTART WINDOWS MANAGEMENT INSTRUMENTATION SERVICE- WMI Provider Host Resolve
Sometimes you can restart the host service to get rid of the problem; follow the steps below-
- You can press and hold the Windows key + R key or you can click Start and type Run to open Run dialogue box
- In the run box, you have to type “service.msc” and then hit the Enter button
- From the next window, locate Windows Management Instrumentation service. You can simply press W to locate all the services that start with W
- When you find it, right-click on the service and click on ‘restart’
Most of the cases, this will help you solve the WMI high CPU usage error. In case, you are still experiencing this, please follow another solution method.
REPAIR AND REBUILD WMI
To repair the service file, follow the steps below-
- Go to Start in Windows and type “Run” without quotes
- Then hit Enter to open Run dialogue box and type “Winmgmt /salvagerepository %windir%\System32\wbem” without the quotes again
- If the above-mentioned command does not help, you can put “Winmgmt /reset repository %windir%\System32\wbem” without the quotes.
After performing all the steps, reboot your computer. If you do not encounter the problem again, congratulation. But if you are still experiencing the same issue, please tell me in the comment box below. You can also